General Sources on Maryland Confederate Units
This list is designed to provide a starting point for those wishing to research a particular Maryland Confederate Regiment. These books are particularly helpful for tracing the broad outlines of a unit's service, locating published histories, etc. Works detailing the service of individual units are considered on the page for that unit elsewhere on this site.
- U.S. Army Military History Institute Unit Bibliographies
Lists of general and specific sources for all U.S., U.S.C.T., & C.S. units-note only contains info about their collection. Additional info may be found in Dornbusch.
- C.E. Dornbusch, Military Bibliography of the Civil War Four Vols., New York Public Library.
Be sure to check the most recent (1980's) edition. Contains bibliographic data on published unit books for either side. New books/articles are published frequently so there may be material available about the unit you seek that is not in this book. Be sure to check the History and Life index (at larger libraries) for more recent articles
- Confederate Miltary History, Extended Edition. Vol. 2: Maryland, Wilmington, N.C., Broadfoot, 1987
Unit histories and some rosters.
- Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army Midlothian, Va, Derwent Books, 1987.
Unit histories of C.S. units including those from Maryland.
- W.W. Goldsborough, The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army, 1861-1865 Gaithersburg, Md., Butternet, 1983.
Unit histories of Maryland C.S. units and other information.
- Daniel D. Hartzler, Marylanders in the Confederacy, Silver Spring, Md., Family Line Publishers, 1986
Alphabetical roster of Maryland Confederates, as well as sources on units.
- Harold Manakee, The Civil War in Maryland , Baltimore, Maryland Historical Society, 1961.
Contains capsule histories of all Maryland units and an overview of the state's participation in the Civil War on both sides.
- Harry W. Newman, Maryland and the Confederacy, Annapolis, MD., 1976.
Capsule histories Maryland Confederate units.
- Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Maryland, New York, Facts on File, 1995.
Capsule histories and other data on Confederate units-a Confederate Dyer's Compendium if you will.
- The Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies in the War of the Rebellion. 128 Volumes. Washington, 1882-1900
You may find reports from Maryland unit commanders, casualty reports, and mentions in other officers reports, orders of battles, and more.
If you know of a general resource on Maryland Confederate Units that should be included here, please let me know.